Manager/Secretary: Patrick J. Dunican, The Racecourse Loughnagore, Kilbeggan, Loughnagore, Co. Westmeath. Tel 0506 32176. Fax. 0506 32125
Clerk Of Course: Joseph Collins, Leggan Hall Road, Bellewstown Co. Meath. Tel. 041 23425
Stabling Facilities: 56 boxes; grooms’ canteen
Characteristics: Right handed track of one mile, one furlong; sharp and undulating course. Excellent viewing from the enclosure. All national Hunt racing
Catering Facilities: Self service restaurant, snack bar, bar; hospitality room available for corporate entertainment.
Uses other than Racing: Various sporting events
On March 9th, 1840 the first recorded racemeeting was held at Kilbeggan where the main feature was the Challenge Cup valued at 40 guineas. Between 1840 and 1855 racing was held at various venues close to the town including the present course at Loughnagore.
Racing continued throughout the difficult Famine years but a combination of land agitation, emigration, and faction ended the first phase of racing in 1855.
On April 17th , 1879, racing was revived when the first official was held over a course at Ballard and it continued there until 1885.The 20th century brought the third phase of racing when the races were revived at Loughnagore on September 2nd 1901 and racing has continued there every year with the exception of the years spanning World War 2.
Since 1971, Kilbeggan is the only racecourse in Ireland where all the races are run under National Hunt Rules.