Established December 1st, 1994 under the provisions of the Irish Horseracing Industry Act. Replacing the former Racing Board whose assets and liabilities were transferred to the authority.
The general functions of the Authority include:
– the overall administration of Irish horseracing other than services operated by the Racing Regulatory Body as set out in the Irish Horseracing Industry Act,
– the development and promotion of the Irish horseracing industry including the development of authorised racecourses, the guaranteeing of prize money at race-fixtures and the costs of integrity services,
– the control of the operations of authorised bookmakers,
– the allocation of race-fixtures and the setting of race-programmes,
– the operation of racecourses which are owned by the Authority,
– the operation of a totalisator at racemeetings,
– the promotion of the Irish thoroughbred horse,
– the making of grants, loans or other disbursements to authorised racecourses and to any subsidiary of the Authority.
The Authority is financed mainly by an on-course betting levy and a direct grant from the government.
The Authority discharges it’s functions through a business structure which includes the following wholly-owned subsidiaries:
Tote Ireland Ltd. and Tote Arena Ltd.,
with responsibility for the operation of the Tote and on-course betting shops.
Irish Thoroughbred Marketing Limited (ITM)
established with the objective of promoting Ireland as a premier location to breed, buy and race the Irish-bred thoroughbred horse.
IHA Racecourses Ltd through which the Authority owns the racecourses at Leopardstown, Navan, Cork and Tipperary, together with the Golf Centre at Leopardstown.